Friday 14 November 2014

Grudgingly Cooking

Woah. I have had a big week. Tough in many ways. Busy. Exhausting. Looooooong. 

I know I'm spoiled that my four year old and two year old still have midday naps. He has three hours, she has two. And that is time that I protect fiercely as it is when I work and remember that I was a me before becoming a mummy.

At the tailend of this hectic and hard week, my kids have utterly lost the plot. Both disavowed the need for a nap, insisting loudly, and in shrill unison, "I'm not tired!!". My little girl (miss two) finally drifted off. Which was, obviously, an invitation for master four to throw pillows at her until she woke screaming.

Usually, they're a little team of mischief. They play and whisper and plot and are sometimes a little like twins in terms of how they clash and love one another. Today, there was no love between them, just plain and simple antagonistic fighting. And it fairly did my head in, friends. After having to cancel a much-anticipated play date owing to dreadful behaviour, I still had to brave the local supermarket for a few weekend essentials. Because well, shopping on a Saturday is just no fun. 

If you're reading this, you've probably read that I'm not a huge fan of fast food. It's an occasional thing for us, simply because I am happy to feed them bananas or Vegemite toast for dinner if I'm tired/rushed. 

Tonight, however, having placated two teary, screaming children all day, and just wanting it to be over (!) I suggested, hopefully, a little afraid of my tyrannical duo, that we could get fish and chips on the way home. (Our local does unsalted chips on request and use local garfish). 

You can guess my mindset, right?

So when my master four said, in his own hopeful tone, that he'd prefer chicken drumsticks and salad, what the heck was I meant to do? Yeah, I'm a sucker and I came home and made it. The salad is his own composition- he requested watermelon, strawberries, Brazil nuts, snow peas. Then, as an afterthought, more strawberries and cheese, because they're his sister's favourites (I think they're back in the love phase of their relationship). 



A note. Please forgive the extremely excessive styling. I had to make it fun for myself. And, you know. I just love big plates.







No comments:

Post a Comment