Thursday 9 October 2014

My kids got my tastebuds.

When I was a teenager, I fell madly in love with natto. It's a japanese food - fermented soy beans. They're tiny and sticky and I have been pretty obsessed with them for two decades (yikes, showing my age). It's apparently unusual for someone who isn't Japanese to like natto. Or, at least, that's what the several hundred merchants I've purchased natto from over the years have assured me. My purchase always brings the question, first, to make sure it's actually what I meant to pick up. Then, confusion, "Do you actually like them?". 



They are unbelievably delicious, folks. Salty and sour, and sticky. I have to have them with a generous serving of finely chopped spring onion as the sharpness cuts through the natto perfectly. 

And now, I discover that my children not only love my edamame, and ask for them by name, but also natto. In the ultimate act of mummy sacrifice, I've just let them polish off my last tub (gah!) and, when they requested more, promised (for my sake as much as theirs) that we'll go to china town today to buy more!! 

I know, I know. Soy. GMO. Oestrogen. Whatever. I am proud of my dear little taste-bud-tastic kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment