Sunday 27 July 2014

healthy doughnuts


With all the furore over Crispy Creme that's erupted lately (and possibly it's a very localized furore because a Crispy Creme has opened, for the first time, in my city of Adelaide), I thought this a timely post to make. 

When we lived in the UK, I used to indulge in Crispy Cremes very occasionally, and I have to say, if you're to buy store bought, they do have a soft spot in my heart. I know, it's not patriotic, and I know they're pretty awful for you, but once in a hardly visible blue moon, I think they're yum. However, as a rule, I make my doughnuts from scratch. Usually, by baking, but now, I've discovered something even better!

I have found the easiest and quickest way to make doughnuts, and they're relatively healthy, too! This is essentially a churros batter, but made to doughnut shape and fried in butter. I used spelt flour and coconut sugar, so they're low carb, low GI and most gluten free people can eat them. 



Ingredients
1 cup filtered water
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup spelt flour
Cinnamon for dusting and extra coconut sugar for dusting
150 g butter for frying
tablespoon olive oil for frying

Combine cup of water with salt, coconut sugar and coconut oil in a sauce pan and bring to the boil. Meanwhile, sieve spelt flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Once the water mix has come to the boil, add to the flour and stir until lumps are removed. This won't be a runny batter, like when making a cake, it should be perfectly pliable. 

Set the butter and oil going in a large frying pan. Shape the doughnuts with your hands and carefully place in the frying pan. Cook over moderate heat - they'll take about five minutes in total, and you want them to be cooked through without burning. After a couple of minutes, carefully flip to the other side and continue to cook for an additonal couple of minutes. Once nicely browned, remove from the pan and sprinkle with the extra coconut sugar and cinnamon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment